Muljibhai Patel Urological Hospital
An ISO 9001:2008 Certified Institute
0091 268 2520323-30
  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Size: 100%

Make An Appointment

Make An Appointment

Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.

Testicular Carcinoma

What Is It ?

Although relatively rare cancer, most common between the age group of 15 - 35 yrs, it is one of the curable solid neoplasm and 100% curable if not spread outside the testis. Not all swellings on the testicles are tumors, and not all tumors are malignant; there are many other conditions such as testicular microlithiasis, epididymal cysts, appendix testis (hydatid of Morgagni) and so on which may be painful but are non-cancerous.

Treatment

The treatment for testicular cancer is removal of the testicles and after confirmation of the cancer needs chemotherapy or radiotherapy according to the type of cancer for complete cure.

Causes

Testicular cancer can be derived from any cell type found in the testicles, more than 95% of testicular cancers are germ cell tumors. Most of the remaining 5% are sex cord-gonadal stromal tumours derived from Leydig cells or Sertoli cells.

Exams and Tests

Correct diagnosis is parmount to ensure the most effective and least harmful treatment. Diagnosis can be done via blood tests for tumor markers, but definitive diagnosis requires examination of the histology of a specimen by a pathologist.