Dr Mahesh Desai awarded Qimpro Platinum Standard 2012 for Healthcare
Dr Mahesh Desai, Medical Director and Managing Trustee of Muljibhai Patel Urological Hospital, Nadiad was presented the prestigious Qimpro Platinum Standard 2012 for Healthcare on 26th November 2012 in Mumbai in the presence of dignitaries from the corporate world. Recognized as the country’s premier quality citations, Qimpro Awards highlight the quality achievements of extraordinary individuals in an era of global competition and expectations. Qimpro Platinum Standard Award recognizes Dr Mahesh Desai as a national Statesman for Quality. Each year the awards attract entries from committed quality leaders in the top 500 companies as well as educational and healthcare institutions.
Dr Mahesh Desai was selected by an eminent panel chaired by the Platinum Standard recipient of the previous year. The nominations are evaluated on the parameters of ethical values, social responsibility, visionary leadership, institutional governance, innovative solutions, best practices and the lasting contribution made to the industry as national role models.
“Dr. Mahesh Desai’s mission was, and continues to be, the provision of institutionalized treatment to the common man for various kidney diseases. He has developed innovative techniques for percutaneous nephrolithotripsy (PCNL). He has conducted more than 14,000 PCNL procedures which is a world record. He also expanded the application of ultrasound in Urology and established the service of kidney transplantation for the first time in Gujarat. Dr. Desai has built an international reputation in his field of specialization. Noteworthy is the fact that Dr Desai has been a Visiting Professor at Stanford University, Duke University and Cleveland Clinic in the USA. He is an Honorary Member of Singapore Urology Association, Chinese Urology Association and the Urological Society of Australia & New Zealand. He is the first Indian to have been elected as a member of the American Association of Genito-Urinary Surgeons”, the Qimpro Awards citation stated. Dr Desai is also the President of the world Endourology Society Inc. and the immediate past President of the Société Internationale d’Urologie (SIU).
IMC Ramkrishna Bajaj National Quality Trophy – 2011
Muljibhai Patel Urological Hospital – Centre for Robotic Surgery (MPUH – CRS) Nadiad has been declared as the winner of the prestigious ‘Indian Merchants’ Chamber (IMC) Ramkrishna Bajaj National Quality (RBNQ) Trophy 2011′ in the Health Care category. The IMC Ramkrishna Bajaj National Quality Awards (IMC RBNQA) are modeled along the lines of the Malcolm Baldrige criteria of the USA and follow a rigorous process of training and evaluation. The Award program is considered as a catalyst for nation-building. The IMC RBNQ Awards give special recognition to excellence in organizations. MPUH – CRS is the first hospital in Gujarat to win this coveted Award. The Trophy was given away at a grand function following the conclusion of the ‘Making Quality Happen Conference’ at Mumbai on April 6, 2012.
St. Paul Medal Feb – 2012:
Dr. Mahesh Desai selected for prestigious St. Paul Medal from British Association of Urological Surgeons (Feb-2012)
Arthur D. Smith Endourology Lectureship Awarded to Dr. Mihir Mahesh Desai
The 2012 Arthur D. Smith Endourology Lectureship has been awarded to Mihir Mahesh Desai, M.D., D.N.B., director of the Center for Advanced Robotics at the University of Southern California (USC) Institute of Urology.
Desai won the award, commonly known as the “Arthur” award, today at the World Congress of Endourology (WCE) in Istanbul, Turkey. Desai was chosen for his academic contributions to the field of urology, particularly in advanced laparoscopic urology and the use of robotics in minimally invasive surgeries.
The Endourological Society’s awards committee presents the Arthur award each year, and Cook Medical sponsors the award in honor of the lifetime achievements of world-renowned urologist Dr. Arthur D. Smith.
Desai received his Doctor of Medicine and Master of Surgery from Gujarat University in Ahmedabad, India. He was certified in genitourinary surgery in New Delhi, India, in 1999 and trained in advanced laparoscopic urology at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation from 2000-2003.
Desai is ranked among the top academic urologists in the last 10 years based on the h-index and has authored over 100 publications. He has also received numerous awards for essays, medical videos and other achievements. He has been heavily involved in robotics and clinical innovation in endourology, and is a professor of urology at the Keck School of Medicine of USC.
B.C. Roy National Awards
Dr. Mahesh Desai, Dr. M. M. Rajapurkar and three Visiting Consultants at MPUH – CRS are recipients of the prestigious B.C. Roy National Awards. MPUH – CRS is the only hospital in the country where five doctors have won this coveted Award.
Dr. Mahesh Desai
- Dr. B. C. Roy National Award by the President of India”, 2000
- American Urological Association Presidential Citation 2012
- St. Paul’s Medal, British Association of Urological Surgeons, 2012
- President’s Gold medal of Urological Society of India
- President’s Gold Medal of West Zone Chapter of USI
- UNO’s International Award for Medical Scientific Group in the field of Urology
- Late Dr. Piyush V. Patel Award for “Excellence in Medical Field” at the 105th Annual Day Celebration of Ahmedabad Medical Association on 24thJune, 2007
- Honorary Member of (1) Singapore Urological Association (2) Chinese Urology Association (3) Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand.
Dr. Ravindra Bhalchandra Sabnis
- Dr R B Sabnis: President Elect West Zone chapter of Urological Society of India
- 1St Prize – “Ectopic Kidney PCNL” – Video Presentation – 6th West Zone Usicon – Indore 1996.
- 2nd Prize – Our experience of Pyeloplasty – Podium session – Annual conference of Bombay Urological society at Lonavala 1987.
- 2nd Prize – Changing trends in Urinary diversion after Radical Cystectomy – Podium Session – National conference of Indian Society of Oncology – Ahmedabad – 1996
- 3rd Prize – A new scoring system in predicting success of Push in endourological management of upper ureteric stone – Poster session – 28th USICON 1994 – Kolkata.
Dr. Arvind Prakash Ganpule
- “Olympus” best abstract at WCE 2009 China(Shanghai) for the paper tiled” Flexible robotic ureteroscopic laser lithoripsy for renal calculi:Initial clinical experience MM Desai, R Grover,M Aron, GP Haber,A Ganpule,A Berger, JH Kauok, MR Desai, IS Gill J endourol suppl1(22),A108(abstract), 2008”
- Recipient of The Prestigious MIUC Scholarship awarded by the West zone chapter of the Urological society of India for the year 2008-2009.
- 1st prize for the best poster (Vijaywada best poster) for the paper tilted LESS pyeloplasty: an initial experience at the USICON 2009 Indore, Madhya Pradesh
- Awarded the best paper prize at the World congress of Video Urology for the paper Right sided LESS donor Nephrectomy at marsa Alam Egypt March 2010.
Dr. Shashikant Mishra
- Second Podium prize, 22nd WZUSICON, Silvassa, Oct 2010
- First Video prize, 22nd Videourology World Congress, Marsa Alam, Egypt, 2010
- First prize in Asia pacific region PCNL preceptor programme – 2nd Asia-Pacific Preceptorship Program in Urology, Singapore, 2009-
- European Board of Urology in services assessment Exam, 2007- Secured 5th rank amongst 738 candidates appearing from 115 institutions of 25 countries in and outside Europe held on 17/02/07.
- Certificate of merit GSVM Kanpur, 1999 – Honors’ certificate in Forensic medicine
WZUSICON 2013 at Raipur
Prize Won during West Zone USICON, Raipur 26th to 29th September, 2013
- First Prize – Video
- Title: Robotic Anatropic Nephrolithotomy under hypothermia for the management of Staghorn Stone.
- Authors: Dr. Arvind Ganpule
- First Prize – Podium
- Title: Clavien Complication system for 188 transplant – a Prospective study.
- Authors: Dr. Jigish Vyas
- Second Prize – Video
- Title: Surgically managing urology Complication: Our Experience.
- Authors: Dr. M. Vinod
- Second Prize – Eagle Travelling Fellowship
- Title: Eagle Travelling Fellowship.
- Authors: Dr. Ankush Jairath
WZUSICON 2013 at Rajkot
Prize won during West Zone Nephrology, Rajkot from 21 to 23rd September, 2013
- First Prize – Burjis Khursedji Best Paper Award
- Title: To study the efficacy of intraluminal 70% Ethanol Vs. heparin in prevention of infection in non-tunneled hemodialysis catheters: A randomized study.
- Authors: Dr. Bhupeshkumar Kaware
- Second Prize – Quiz
- Title: Quiz
- Authors: Dr. Bhupeshkumar & Dr. Prakash Ugale
- Research Grant of Rs.100, 000
- Title: Study of serum and urinary catalytic iron levels in patients with chronic kidney disease stage III and above to find out if higher levels are associated with progression of chronic kidney disease.
- Authors: Dr. Snehal Ganwat: Dr. Farrokhwadia
WZUSICON 2012 at Lonawala
- First Prize – Podium
- Title: Reliability of prostate histoscanning in localization of Carcinoma Prostate: Indian experience.
- Authors: Dr. Shashikant Mishra, Dr. Shailesh Soni, Dr. Arvind Ganpule, Dr. Ravindra B Sabnis, Dr. Mahesh R Desai.
- First Prize – Poster
- Title: Shock wave lithotripsy (SWL) for urinary stone disease in the pediatric age group: A single center experience.
- Authors: Dr. Abhishek Laddha, Dr. Rajeev Sarpal, Dr. Lokesh Sinha, Dr. Shashikant Mishra, Dr. Arvind Ganpule, Dr. Ravindra Sabnis, Dr. Mahesh R Desai.
- Second Prize – Video
- Title: Robotic Total Radical Cystectomy, Lymph node dissection and intracorporeal neobladder : Preliminary feasibility report.
- Authors: Dr. Shashikant Mishra, Dr. Mihir M. Desai, Dr. Arvind Ganpule, Dr. Ravindra B. Sabnis, Dr. Mahesh R Desai.
- Third Prize – Video
- Title: Robot-assisted excision of a retroperitoneal extra adrenal phaechromocytoma.
- Authors: Dr. Rajeev Sarpal, Dr. Lokesh Sinha, Dr. Raghuram Ganesamoni, Dr. Shashikant Mishra, Dr. Arvind Ganpule, Dr. Ravindra Sabnis, Dr. Mahesh R Desai.
USICON 2012, Bangalore 5 – 8th January, 2012
Dr. Amit Bhattu: USI – Olympus International Travel Fellowship : EUREP 2012 is awarded to
Dr. Jitendra Jagtap: Quiz – First Prize:
West Zone USICON 2011, Goa : 15 – 18th September, 2011
Dr. Shashikant Mishra: Poster 2nd Prize: Renal Deterioration Index
Dr. Madhuja: Traveling Fellowship
USICON 2011, Calcutta 21st to 24th January, 2011
Vijayawada Poster 2nd Prize : Computing stone burden for selecting cases for reducing PCNL tracts for Staghorn Calculus.: Dr. Amit Bhattu
Chandigarh Best Video – 2nd Price : Micro PCNL : The new cutting edge Technology in PCNL : Dr. Rajan Sharma.
Dr. SS. Bapat Price for Innovations in Urology : Simplifying the simplified: Gloves model for laparoscopic pyeloplasty training : Dr. Ramen Baishya.
West Zone USICON 2010. Silvassa, from 28th to 31st October, 2010
Video 1st prize : Laproscopic assited ileal ureter construction; Dr. Arvind Ganpule
Podium 2nd Price : High fidelity training models for flexible ureteroscopy: Can we do away with virtual reality (VR)?; Dr. Shashikant Mishra
Poster 1st Price : Post operative chylous ascites : A Case Report Dr. Amit Patel
USI – Olympus International Travel Fellowship : EUREP 2011, Prague from 2nd to 7th September, 2011
This award was received by Dr. Lokesh Sinha, Dr. Jitendra Jagtap and Dr. Amit Patel.
USI – Olympus International Travel Fellowship : Urology Resident’s Course, UAA, Singapore from 12th to 15th August, 2011
This was awarded to Dr. Madhuja Sawaikar.